Highlights and achievements
We celebrated many highlights and achievements this year. Some of these are listed below.
- CHAT was awarded for Outstanding Achievement in Injury Prevention, Early Intervention, Treatment and/or Recovery at the 2017 Injury Prevention and Safety Promotion Awards.
- CHAT was selected as a finalist in the National Alcohol and Other Drugs Excellence and Innovation Awards for preventing and reducing harms in young people.
- 40 schools were acknowledged for their commitment to resilience, road safety and alcohol and other drugs education at the 2017 CHAT Awards.
- Scott Guerini won the SDERA Health and Wellbeing Award at the 2018 WA Young Achiever Awards.
- New alcohol and other drugs and resilience and wellbeing assessment tasks were developed for Kindergarten/Pre-primary to Year 9 students.
- We developed a flip chart to assist presentations to families from Aboriginal and culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) backgrounds.
- New road safety signs and banners were developed for schools and community agencies.
- We released Drug Talk: Body. Mind. Future., a new drug education program for Year 10 to 12 students, parents and educators.
- We released Wraparound, a new early intervention program to assist staff working with young people impacted by drug use.
- 15,168 students participated in Keys for Life at 255 schools and 78 agencies across WA. A fantastic achievement for a non-mandated course!
- 2,307 parents and 1,707 students attended a Keys for Life Parent-Student workshop.
- 342 parents learnt how to talk with their children about alcohol and other drugs at a Talking Drugs information session.
- Training was delivered to 479 pre-service teachers and educators at three WA universities and registered training organisations.
- We supported 118 schools to develop Drug Education Plans that include procedures for managing drug use incidents and provision of intervention support for students experiencing issues related to drug use.
- 103 CHAT schools developed School Road Safety Plans.
- Brand awareness increased as a result of new marketing and communications strategies.
- We coordinated and facilitated the 2017 Road Safety Education Workshop at the Australasian Road Safety Conference for national and international delegates.
- We worked in partnership with members of the WA Road Safety Education Committee (WARSEC) to launch Directions 2017-19 WA’s Road Safety Education Action Plan and the 2015-2017 Annual Report at the 2017 Australasian Road Safety Conference.
- Membership of the WA School Drug Education Reference Group (WASDERG) and WARSEC
- We assisted the RAC to deliver the Keys for Life Parent-Student workshops.
- We supported Ngala, Meerilinga Young Children’s Foundation, Playgroup WA and Kidsafe WA to deliver road safety messages to parents and children.
- We collaborated with Healthway and Mental Health Commission to develop the Think Again project to help sporting coaches educate young people about alcohol.
- We partnered with Telethon Kids Institute to develop an alcohol education project for parents.