Originally developed in 2005 with a parent engagement focus, the Smart Steps program has been revised to address the needs of educators working in early childhood settings. In addition to this Smart Steps is now suitable for children up to eight years of age.
The new program links to the:
• National Practices for Early Childhood Road Safety Education
• Early Years Learning Framework
• National Quality Standards
• WA Kindergarten Guidelines
• WA HPE syllabus (Pre-primary to Year 2).
Izzy the road safety mascot
It was a busy year for our road safety mascot, Izzy, who travelled to more places across WA. Over 5500 children and parents had the opportunity to meet Izzy and learn important road safety messages at schools, early learning centres, parent workshops and special events.