Alcohol and other drug information for parents

Parents can play an important role in building their children’s resilience, and supporting the key drug education messages that are delivered through our early childhood and school programs. To help you, we have resources suitable for children and young people of all ages including Challenges and Choices. We also offer education seminars at various times throughout the year and in different locations throughout Western Australia. You will also find fact sheets and links where appropriate right here on our website. 

Early Years

When children are very little, under the age of five, parents may want to talk with their children about passive smoking (tobacco), safe use of over-the-counter and prescribed medications such as asthma inhalers and panadol, poisonous and hazardous substances, and what to do if they happen to find a needle syringe.

Early years drug education fact sheets

primary YEARS

As children grow, they start to process information in a different way which is why all education and conversations at home should be appropriate for the age of the child. In the primary years parents can talk with their children about passive smoking (tobacco), safe use of over-the-counter and prescribed medications, what to do if they find a needle syringe, caffeine (energy drinks), alcohol and alternatives to analgesics such as relaxation and coping strategies. This is also a time when parents might like to review their own knowledge, attitudes and behaviour towards alcohol and other drugs.

secondary YEARS

As children become teenagers communication becomes all the more important. Many parents use stories on the news to prompt discussion about legal drugs such as tobacco, over-the-counter and prescribed medications, caffeine (energy drinks) and alcohol, and illegal drugs such as cannabis, synthetic cannabis and methamphetamine. Conversations about ways to refuse offers of alcohol or other drugs, and your expectations about the use of alcohol and other drugs, should also happen.

Secondary Supply Legislation is now in place in Western Australia, which makes it illegal to serve alcohol to minors in the family home without their parents consent. 

These fact sheets are available in 15 languages:

Arabic Burmese Chinese (simpified) Dari Dinka
Farsi Hindi Indonesion Karem Korean
Swahili Tagalog Thai Tigrunya Swahili

where to get help

Connect is a directory of support services that parents and families can access when they or a family member may be experiencing problems with alcohol or other drugs.

If you think your child may have a drug use problem, talk with your doctor or your local Community Alcohol and Drug Service to find out what resources are available in your area that can help your child manage his or her drug problem.

Parent and Family Drug Support Line

T: (08) 9442 5050
T: 1800 653 203 (country callers)

Alcohol and Drug Support Line 

T: (08) 9442 5000
T: 1800 198 024 (country callers)

Please Wait