Learner's Permit Test: Instructions for teachers and facilitators
A driver's licence is one of the most valuable privileges anyone can have. Students successfully completing the Keys for Life program are provided with the opportunity to undertake the legitimate Learner's Permit Test (Test) at school. Those who pass are granted exemptions for the Learner's Permit application process under the authorisation of the WA Department of Transport.
Staff delivering the Keys for Life program must attend a SDERA Keys for Life professional learning workshop and sign an agreement outlining Test Rules and student requirements, which are based on Department of Transport guidelines. These rules must be strictly adhered to by all Keys for Life teachers and facilitators.
Preparing for the Learners’ Permit Test
To help students learn the road rules and prepare for the Learner's Permit test at school, students can use any or all of the following:
- Road Rules and Theory Test Quiz (Department of Transport)
- Drive Safe Handbook (Department of Transport)
- Behind the Wheel journal tasks and quizzes
- Keys for Life road safety quizzes (below)
|Module 1 Quiz||Module 2 Quiz||Module 3 Quiz||Module 4 Quiz|
Applying for a Learners’ Permit with a Keys for Life Certificate
In Western Australia, the Department of Transport Driver and Vehicle Services (DVS), and selected Australia Post Offices, process Learner’s Permit applications between 8:30am – 3:45pm, Mondays to Fridays. Students presenting a valid* Keys for Life certificate during the Learner's Permit application process will be eligible to receive the following exemptions from Transport DVS:
- An exemption from undertaking the Computerised Theory Test (CTT) at the DVS centre.
- An exemption from paying the CTT fee of $18.90, reducing the overall cost of the Learner’s Permit fee to $92.90 (as at January 2016).
- An exemption from presenting one of the five Proof of Identity (POI) forms.
*A valid Keys for Life certificate is one that is current (certificates are valid for 2 years), correctly completed by the Keys for Life facilitator, and the student’s name is exactly the same as their other legal identification (eg birth certificate). The certificate does not need to include middle names.
Complete Keys for Life Certificates via a printer
The convenience of completing Keys for Life Certificates via a printer, rather than manually, is very helpful when teaching large numbers of students. Staff can mail-merge and print student information onto each certificate using the instructions, Excel spread sheet and Word template.
Keys for Life facilitators must follow this procedure to replace lost, damaged or incorrectly completed certificates:
- Verify the pass mark on the Test Register (test results).
- Issue the student with a new certificate and record the new certificate number on the Test Register.
- Email all the information on the certificate to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Maintain Test Registers on school (or agency) records for two years and store spare certificates in a locked cupboard.
- Inform administrative staff of this process and the location of records and spare certificates, as a back-up system.
A replacement certificate is valid for two years, commencing from the original date of issue.
Email Test Registers to SDERA
The Department of Transport and Road Safety Commission require this information from SDERA for reporting, auditing and certificate-verification purposes.
Return Test Materials to Northside
Only registered Keys for Life facilitators can order test materials from Northside Logistics or SDERA.
The Department of Transport has developed Test Booklets specifically for schools implementing Keys for Life. Each test has a set of 30 questions about the Western Australian road rules and other aspects of road safety.
After the Test and before the end of the year, Keys for Life facilitators must shred student answer sheets and return all other test materials (including certificate stubs) to:
20 Mooney Street
Bayswater WA 6053
NOTE: Schools who have Test Booklets 1, 2 or 3 MUST RETURN these immediately to Northside Logistics as these are no longer valid.