Challenges and Choice program
Challenges and Choices is SDERA's core resilience, drug and road safety education program. The Challenges and Choices program will develop students' personal and social capabilities including making decisions, helpful thinking, recognising emotional responses to different situations, help seeking and building positive and respectful relationships.
Practical examples of how teachers and families can promote the learning of these skills are also provided
Challenges and Choices program includes:
- professional learning
- teaching and learning resources
- section for parents
SDERA provided a number of professional learning opportunities for staff based on the Challenges and Choices resources. The following professional workshops are available.
- Resilient Kids: Social and Emotional learning
- Resilient Teens
- Safer Kids
- Safer Teens (Alcohol and Cannabis)
The teacher resources provide a range of learning activities with age-appropriate resilience, road safety and drug education content for students.
- year level teacher resource books (F-6)
- CD of music and stories (K-3)
- year level road safety education and drug education teacher resource books and student workbooks (Year 7, Year 8, Year 9, Year 10 - linked to the Western Australian Health and Physical Education Syllabus and the General Capabilities)
The family information sheets (fact sheets) in each focus area can be downloaded and sent home to give parents ideas on how to build their child’s resilience and personal and social capability skills.